Thursday, April 12, 2012

Meet the Member: Johnna Postic

Welcome to the GLC ACFW blog's bi-monthly (for now, anyway LOL) Meet the Member feature! (If you're interested in being featured, email me and I'll add you to the queue. Also drop me a line if you have any exciting news to share in your writing life so I can share it here on the blog.)

Today, you have a chance to meet the lovely Johnna Postic, our own chapter vice president. Read on to learn about her writing, her family, and more.


JOANNE: Tell us a bit about yourself.

JOHNNA: I’ve been a Christian since the age of four. My husband is the best blessing ever and we celebrate our 22nd anniversary this summer. We have two teenagers in high school, with the oldest heading off to college this year. We home schooled them both through the 8th grade.

I work full-time as a social worker, specifically as a guardian for developmentally disabled and mentally ill adults, which is very interesting to say the least. I also have a part-time business as a Juice Plus distributor. My hobbies are scrap booking, embroidery, crocheting, reading, and playing the flute.

Writing is more than a hobby, perhaps a part-time job requiring a lot of volunteer hours up front; or more aptly termed a ministry in progress.

JOANNE: Wow. Busy lady! When you find time in the midst of all that activity, what do you like to write? 

JOHNNA: I write contemporary fiction. My main project has been a fiction book titled Heart at War that started out based on my personal journals, evolving into more fiction with every draft. 

JOANNE: You get a lot more leeway when you make your "true story" fiction. I'm sure it's wonderful. How long have you been writing? At ACFW?

JOHNNA: I wrote songs, poetry, and journaled a lot throughout my teens and early twenties. There were several projects sprinkled throughout adulthood, mainly for church productions. I’ve been a member of ACFW for two and a half years.

JOANNE: What have you had published?

JOHNNA: One short story was published in a magazine. It shared our testimony of God’s faithfulness through miscarriages, infertility, and eventually having our two wonderful children.

JOANNE: Sounds like such an inspiring story. What are you working on right now?

JOHNNA: Actually, last fall Discouragement visited, camping next to Overwhelmed in my back yard. I decided to slow my writing pace down to spend time with my kids as their childhood evaporates before my eyes, and also learn the craft of writing better. I’ve been gathering books and investigating classes to improve my skills to reorganize my book. I believe by this fall, I will dive back in and hopefully figure out what to do next.

JOANNE: I'm actually doing something similar! We ought to exchange reading and class lists. Speaking of learning, what is the best writing advice you've ever received? 

JOHNNA: Wow. That’s a tough question because I’ve heard plenty of awesome advice.

Two things stand out in my memory. Jane Rubietta spoke at a Write to Publish conference in Chicago calling writers “word carriers.” She pointed out God chose acacia wood (the most common, ordinary wood available) in designing the Ark of the Covenant. Then she applied those scriptures to us, saying God chooses the common, ordinary, and available people to be his word carriers.

 The other piece of advice came most recently from Tiffany Colter, although I’ve heard the same message from others too. Simply put: Don’t give up and don’t stop writing.

 JOANNE: Oh, those are BOTH really good. I love the image of us as word carriers. To you, what is the best part of ACFW? The GLC chapter?

JOHNNA: ACFW offers plenty of writer helps in online classes and critique groups. The GLC has wonderful understanding members offering support and comradery.

JOANNE: I couldn't agree more! How can folks connect with you? 

JOHNNA: Email ( Jpostic@prodigy.net ) and Facebook ( Johnna Stone Postic ) are best for messaging. I have a website that I honestly need help with and need to blog more consistently. Now, now. No need to get out the hand-rapping ruler. Here’s the website address: www.johnnapostic.com .

JOANNE: No hand rapping here, dear. We ALL have issues like that. Anything else you'd like to add? 

JOHNNA: Young single women have a special place in my heart. My book deals with the choices facing Christian single women and emotional healing. That pivotal stage of life is critical in carving a future, setting their life’s course. It’s my goal to engage those readers and encourage them to make Godly choices.

JOANNE: I love your passion, Johnna. Now it's time to turn the tables! What question do you have for GLC members (please answer in the comments, folks)?

Anybody have suggestions or resources on how to reorganize a novel?

JOANNE: Great question, Johnna - looking forward to hearing the answers. Thanks so much for sharing here and being willing to be interviewed.

(If you'd like to be featured here, email me and I'll put you in the queue.)

7 comments:

  1. SO enjoyed getting to know you better, Johnna! As far as reorganizing a novel, I still haven't finished writing one, so I don't really know what to say. Hoping others will hop in, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storyfix.com is my favorite site for writing. Larry teaches story structure, which is indispensable for reorganizing! Check it out.

    I've been there - done that with the miscarriages. Thank you for writing to help others. I'm also a scrapbooker, I play saxophone, and we homeschooled through 8th grade. Nice to "meet" you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Johnna. I love getting to know you better! Have you ever wandered around My Book Therapy (MBT)? Susan May Warren & Rachel Hauck run the site & they have good advice and some good resource materials. It has helped me organize my thinking & plotting.
    www.mybooktherapy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this lovely lady STILL found time to send a goody bag to my husband as he got out of the hospital after his second stroke. Johnna, you are a peach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check those out and keep any other resources coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your life here. Blessings!
    Donna Winters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview ladies. Johnna, I've no idea about reorganization except that mine are in dire need of a miracle and my mind continues to race through the corridors lined with file rooms I call imagination. One place I've found a lot of help for adding depth to the story is Margie Lawson's writing academy:

    (http://www.margielawson.com/lawson-writers-academy-courses)

    ReplyDelete