Thursday, January 19, 2017

Have you ever done something—or not done something you felt you might regret?

When I first heard that our Great Lakes Chapter might close, I thought, “What a loss.” I learned so much from the chapter conferences and enjoyed meeting new writers. The camaraderie of sitting down at the breakfast table with our Great Lakes group during an ACFW Conference helped me gather up my courage for the day ahead.

Throughout the Great Lakes Chapter years, many dedicated writers have worked hard in making this chapter a success. I understand that everyone is busy and there is hardly time in the day to accomplish what needs to be accomplished. Daniel sums this up better that I in 12:4 “…many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.” Writers, our time is short to make a difference in a reader’s life. The days, weeks, and months appear to fly by. Just where did 2016 go?

Learning that this Great Lakes Chapter is the ONLY chapter representing Michigan caused me to ponder our options.  Reinstating another chapter in the future would end the history of this chapter’s accomplishments. The dedication of those writers who have kept the torch burning and participated in a board of directors’ capacity would be lost.

I am much to blame. I used the excuse for not volunteering on the board due to my busy lifestyle and because of my inexperience on social networking.

I am not savvy on social media. I have just sent out my first Mailchimp e-mail last month! My blog posting is irregular; I have Skype but know little about how to us it and my author Facebook page often gets overridden by my public Facebook page! I don’t understand Twitter and I never heard of YouTube until CrossRiver introduced me to this.

To end this diatribe, my husband and I have spoken to regional ACFW rep Michelle Lim, and Michelle and Ane Mulligan are willing to help us keep ACFW Great Lakes Chapter alive! Karin Beery and Pegg Thomas have been wonderful and extremely supportive!  

So let’s do something we shall never regret! Send your dues to the Great Lakes Paypal account for $11.00 or mail your check to Ed or Cathy Brakefield, 3303, Curtis Rd, Leonard, MI 48367 and please MAKE OUT YOUR CHECK TO: ACFW Great Lakes Chapter in the amount of $10.00.

There will be a meeting at my house on February 25 or 26 (depending on the weather) for 2017 members. Address is above (6 miles NW of Oxford; 10 miles NE of Romeo, 12 miles N of Rochester ). Plan on brainstorming.  Be prepared to give a one liner about your latest book.  There will be a photo opt. I need pictures to put on Great Lakes’ facebook page and also for advertising purposes. Oh, and bring your laptops.


People can’t know about us if we don’t tell them about our group! Thanks to my publisher, CrossRiver Media Group YouTube and social networking is no longer my enemy! I will need a head count for the pizza and bring a dish if you like (not required). Be prepared, I still have my Christmas trees up! Hope you can make this fun event! You can e-mail me at CatherineUlrichBrakefield@yahoo.com  or call me at 248 628-4415.